Businesses are busy relying on social media for marketing purposes. But, simply creating a few accounts on every digital channel and posting a few things will not do the job. For this, businesses need to make themselves informed and alert reading the social media comings and goings. But, this is on the other hand is not an easy job.
This is where social media management and a social media manager come into the scene.
Social media management is a branch of digital marketing, which on the other hand is a branch of marketing. Social media management involves managing the social media accounts and pages of an entity; be it an individual or a company.
This involves a total process of creating new content, post them, optimize the posts, and analyze the performance. Basically, social media management is the crux of social media marketing, without which no plan or strategy can give any positive results.
Social media manager
Management is a process, and to execute the process, there is a need for a manager.
Social media managers are the ones who handle social media management of a certain company or an individual. They are the voice behind any brand, that one may see on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. they can either work as consultants or as part of a social media accompany or a as member of the marketing team of a firm.
They have various roles, like:
- Design social media campaigns and optimize social conversations.
- Design social media accounts and pages and make them visually appealing.
- Communicate with the users and customers and understand their demands.
- Have an active engagement with the audience on social media pages.
- Decide on social media advertising, and create influencer marketing campaigns.
- Create effective conversion strategies to turn the leads and users into customers.
In simple words, a social media manager is responsible to grow the brand’s online presence, and bring in more profits by enhancing the business through social networking.
Skills of a social media manager
There are various skills that a social media manager should have, that will make the work easier and effective. Few of these skills and talents are:
- Creativeness: creating content every day requires a good amount of creativity and the right brained-ness.
- Writing: the pen is mightier, well, in social media indeed it is. Writing some compelling captions, posts and even comments are a big part of the job.
- Marketing: one should have basic knowledge of marketing. Other than this they should have knowledge about digital marketing and all its subject and spheres.
- Customer service: if one is handling a social media handle of any brand, they need to have customer servicing skills to reply back to customer queries and take their grievances.
- Data analytics: a manager should be hands-on with all popular data analytics tools and software so that they can track their work in real-time.
- Communication: lastly, a good social media manager should be open to having conversations. They should not shy away from talking to people and connecting with them.
Becoming successful in social media management
A decade ago, people had no clue how to use social media for their benefit in businesses. But now, businesses are well aware of its advantages on ROI. Therefore, these days there is a huge demand for social media managers across the globe. From big brands to popular personalities, everybody is in search of social media managers who can do wonders.
However, there is no straight formula to become a successful social media manager or to have a great career in this field. One needs to learn, adapt, and have a curious mind to become successful. But, there are a few tips that can help in becoming successful in social media management.
- Grow knowledge of social media
The very first thing to do is learning more and more about social media platforms and channels. One should have in-depth knowledge about how each and every platform works, what their benefits are, and what their scope is. Social media is a vast subject and one should keep learning to know its features and flaws. Also, be aware of all the new social media channels and platforms that are mushrooming. There is nothing wrong is trying out new ventures and platforms to give a fresh twist to the story.
- Learn tools and techs
For any kind, if management work, there are plenty of tools that one can find and put use to. For SMM also, there are hundreds of useful free and paid tools that can be used. These tools help in creating creative content, organizing, engage with users, automate the processes, and analyze the performance of campaigns. Learn about these tools and their applications.
- Cleaning and auditing
To become successful in social media management, one should have a clear idea of the fact that it is a public arena. There will opinions, judgments, and some bad comments from time to time. Well, take a breath and go cleaning. A manager needs to give their handled social accounts a regular clean up and audit to remove any content that is not doing good or is raking negative numbers.
Yes, social media is filled with new and exciting opportunities. New trends come up every day, new happenings happen at every corner of the social network. A social media manager should have a keen eye and ear to look for trends and opportunities that they can utilize. From campaigns to creating content, a manager should make use of the trends and hashtags to become a talk of the town.
Social media is in nature a very distracting place. One moment a manager is replying to the comments, and the other moment they are scrolling through the feeds. Therefore, a social media manager should have time management skills, if they want to excel in management. Learn to work fast, speed up the processes, pay attention to various details at the same time. After all, social media runs fast and changes almost every second.
Lastly, one should spend enough time connecting through social network accounts. Not only, should a manager give time to connect to the leads, customers, users, and audience in large? They should give time to connect to other brands and influencers. This will increase the scope for various future projects. Like some posts, comment, DM, follow retweet from time to time.
Social media managers are busy people. As millions of new users are herding to various social media platforms, it is becoming challenging for managers to keep up. Connecting, managing time, multitasking, learning about trends, creating content, all come into the job description of a social media manager. So, if one wants to become successful in this field, they should have an open mind, should learn new things, and should be good at communicating with the audience.