Department of Human Services cut off food stamps from Amanda Clayton
Amanda Clayton, who admitted to receiving public food assistance after winning $1 million in the state lotto, has been cut off from state aid, the Michigan Department of Human Services said.
The statement followed a report this week in which Clayton, 24, of Lincoln Park, acknowledged to WDIV-TV that she was continuing to get $200 in monthly food aid, given by the state through a "Bridge Card," after her win in September.
Clayton did not return a request for comment. Her mother, Euline Clayton, previously told the Detroit News that her daughter was not breaking the law.
"I'm not saying it's the right thing to do," Euline Clayton said. "But it's nobody's business if she's not breaking the law."
Euline Clayton declined to comment to ABC News.
Department of Human Services' director, Maura Corrigan, issued a statement on Wednesday regarding "a person (now no longer receiving benefits) who remained on food assistance after winning a lottery jackpot."